Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I Can't Wait

I can't wait to join the big girls at school
I can't wait to enter grade one
I can't wait to start 'departmental'
I can't wait till the school year is done

I can't wait to cross two-way streets on my own
I can't wait till my age has two digits
I can't wait to go to sleepaway camp
I can't wait for my parents to visit

I can't wait to finally start junior high
I can't wait to move up to grade eight
I can't wait to end elementary school
I can't wait till I graduate

I can't wait to start my first year of high school
I can't wait to finally learn how to drive
I can't wait till grade twelve when we're seniors
I can't wait to be free before five

I can't wait to receive my diploma
I can't wait to graduate
I can't wait to start college and my 'real' life
I can't wait to start to date

I can't wait to finish up my major
I can't wait to meet the right guy
I can't wait to get accepted to graduate school
I can't wait to get married in July

I can't wait to finally start working
I can't wait till I have a child
I can't wait till I finish my masters
I can't wait till my thesis's compiled

I can't wait for my child's one year birthday
I can't wait till he learns to walk
I can't wait till he's finally toilet trained
I can't wait till he learns to talk

I can't wait to buy our very first home
I can't wait for my son to start school
I can't wait till he stops making trouble
I can't wait till he listens to rules

I can't wait to get that coveted promotion
I can't wait for those teenage years to pass
I can't wait for my son to settle down with a nice girl
I can't wait to be a grandma at last

I can't wait to watch my grandchildren grow up
I can't wait for them to come visit me
I can't wait till my 65th birthday
I can't wait to retire peacefully

I can't wait to see my grandchildren marry
I can't wait till they have kids of their own
I can't wait to hold my first great grandson
I can't wait till those noisy kids go home

Tomorrow's my 120th birthday
I can't wait to blow out candles on that cake
I can't wait to enjoy all life's given me
I can't wait to wish it isn't too late

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it. and oh so hard :-/

Anonymous said...

how'd u come up withe title?

Anonymous said...

So annoying when you use an upbeat rhyme scheme and then it's depressing. I saw it coming from the beginning but it was still phrased wonderfully. As usual, I love your poetry. Except the "married in July." That was just "What rhymes with guy? How's 'bout July?" and you know it.

Randomizing Sequencer said...

so was 'free before five' and 'thesis is compiled' but we won't tell anyone ;)

Anonymous said...

WOW! I'm so impressed!

Something Different said...

Oh wow that was a really good poem. Really gave me food for thought...
Loved it!

Post a Comment