Saturday, May 1, 2010

Guess Who's Back (back, back)

I'm back! And better than ever. Long absence due to yours truly actually getting a life, but I've come to the conclusion that getting a life should not and will not prevent me from writing. How did I come to this epiphany? Well, my husband showed me an interesting article in the Reader's Digest. (I know, the Reader's Digest? But since that's among three lone pieces of written work that he actually takes the time to read, I smile and nod.)

Anyway, ever since I was a little girl, I've always had the strangest thoughts. Actually, it's not the thoughts themselves that are so strange as much as they way I think them. I'll be walking down the street and thinking to myself, 'She strolled down the street at a leisurely pace, stopping every now and then to admire the scenery.' Or, for example, right now I'm thinking, 'She sat at her computer, typing rapidly, giving little thought to how utterly ridiculous she might sound.' Now, when I first told my husband about this, he thought, quite understandably, that this was very odd. I never knew it was odd because I kind of thought everyone did this.

So, like I said, he showed me this article in the Reader's Digest, called 'Am I Nuts' or something to that effect, where people write in odd things that they do and a psychologist tells them if that's normal or if they should go seek mental help. One of the people wrote in that they do exactly the same thing I just described. The psychologist replied that this is perfectly normal. "One way people learn things is by rehearsing a scenario in their heads. Most of us do this in a visual way...You just happen to do it verbally, as do many novelists and poets."

Well, I was quite happy to be in such company, but it made me realize that it was hardly warranted if I never took the time to write anymore. Hence, this post, Yeah, hence! (Sorry, The House Bunny reference)

Anyway, the bottom line is that I'm starting up my blog again. So, all you imaginary readers - cheers!

3 comments:

stp said...

Since you already know how crazy I am, I don't mind sharing the following: Besides for visualizing scenarios in my head(I'm not a writer but your way does sound more interesting - as if you were writing a novel or having your life narrarated like in a movie), I often talk to myself, usually after something embarrassing happened or if I get nervous. It's such a funny habit.

And, knowing you, I'm not sure that I concur with the Reader's Digest psychoanalysis, perhaps you should seek mental help? ;)

Randomizing Sequencer said...

Ha ha I make faces at myself. As I think back to something I really really shouldnt've done I grimace to myself.
And knowing myself, I think I agree with you.

Perpetual Sky said...

Hey I narrate my life too! But I think for me it means I'm a reader and not I writer. One big reason I'm not restarting mine is cuz I HATE reading my writing, whereas yours I love. So, did I mention YAY! I'm so happy you're back. My faith in the internet is being restored.

Post a Comment