Monday, May 10, 2010

My Faith in Humanity Has Been Restored

Somehow, my luck is such that no matter what time I leave my house, I always get to the corner just as the bus is pulling away from the stop across a very busy street. Sometimes, it's 3 buses in a row that drive by that stop as I wait impatiently across the street for the light to change.

Today was just such a day, except this time, I decided to run to the next stop. I figured the bus would have a red at some point and hopefully I could make it to the stop two blocks down before it left. This would have been a very good plan had I not been (and continue to be) hopelessly out of shape. So, my luck being what it is, I arrived huffing and puffing at the next stop only to watch the bus pull away as I ran alongside it.

It was at this point, just when I was about to get all worked up over the bus schedule, buses, all forms of vehicular transportation, Henry Ford and the whole 20th century in general, an angel pulled up next to me in the service lane. An angel - disguised as a Pakistani car service driver. The car was a nondescript brown, 1980's...I don't know what, with no car service name or number. But the driver called out, "get in, I'll take you to the next stop!" I paused at first, uncertain as to whether I should indeed get into a car with a complete stranger. And maybe I shouldn't have. But it was ten to nine. Cold. Windy. So I did. And then he kidnapped me and took me back to Kabakazoomistan to be his wife, and I've been held prisoner ever since.
Sorry - nothing as exciting as all that. But he did drive me to the next stop where I was able to get on the bus and get to work at a not-so-late-after-all 9:04. So, Mr. Ugly Brown Car Service Car Driver, wherever you are, wherever your car service travels have taken you now - thank you!

5 comments:

stp said...

WOW. That is an amazing story! Appearances can be deceiving...ugly car, nice guy.
But RS, where were you in Kindergarten when we were warned not to get into cars with strangers? Or in hs when we were warned not to get into cars with boys? ;)

Randomizing Sequencer said...

Apparently I missed both those days :)

Perpetual Sky said...

"Mr. Ugly Brown Car Service Car Driver" to me it sounds like you're calling him ugly.

Randomizing Sequencer said...

I know - I realized after I typed it. But I'm also calling him nice so it evens out.

stp said...

'Ugly' as an adjective goes on car service, not on the super nice and I'm sure attractive car service driver - like a first name, last name.

First name: Ugly Brown (Car)
Last name: (Car) Service Driver

Perhaps 'car' is a middle initial?

Post a Comment